VE Day 1945 and sandwiches were the main order of the day during the street party celebrations, as was beer (that is, until it ran out in the pubs, well before the 10.30pm curfew!) But people wouldn’t have been celebrating the same as we do today. Wartime rationing meant sugar and butter were hard to come by, so this eggless fruitcakes would have been the next best thing!
1. Place the brown sugar, water, raisins, oil, cinnamon, and cloves in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a boil
2. Cook gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool until the mixture is comfortably warm to your finger
3. While the mixture is cooling, preheat the oven to 180C / 350F
4. Grease and flour an 8×4-inch baking pan
5. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add them to the cooled sugar mixture, beating until no drifts of flour are visible and the batter is smooth. Then stir in the walnuts
6. Spread the mixture evenly in the baking tin and bake for 25-30 minutes
7. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely if you want to add a good glaze, save back bit of the hot spiced water and mix with icing sugar, a drop of vanilla, and a pinch salt. Glaze the cake while hot.
READY IN: 1hr SERVES: 15
Connect with us
View by date
With the property market open, now is the perfect time to get your property “market-ready.” Tidy the Garden The garden is a huge selling point for most properties on the market. With the warmer weather having arrived, now is the perfect time to get into your garden to complete quick and simple jobs to make your property more sellable and …Read more...
Yesterday evening, the Prime Minister, Boris Johnson led the daily news briefing with an update on the lockdown rules. Mr Johnson confirmed that the five tests that needed to have been met during lockdown have now been met. The five tests included: 1. Making sure the NHS could cope. 2. A sustained fall in the …Read more...
Boris Johnson announced on Monday that all non-essential retailers will be allowed to reopen in England from the 15th June. Retailers will have to adhere to new guidelines to protect their workers and their customers, and it is ‘contingent on progress in the fight against coronavirus.’ This goes alongside outdoor markets and car showrooms which …Read more...
This weekend should have been the final of the Emirates FA Cup Final. However, with sport suspended until mid-June, we thought we would look back at some of the greatest FA Cup finals ever… The FA Cup is the ultimate knockout football competition. Originally beginning in 1871-72, the tournament is open to all clubs …Read more...
The signs that Britain is continuing to take tentative step to life after lockdown increased today when it was revealed McDonald’s is to re-open 32 of its drive-through takeaways. Days after announcing it was to open 15 of its 1,270 branches for delivery orders, the fast-food giant has announced more than 30 restaurants, largely in …Read more...